PaperSwap is a utility to easily swap your desktop wallpaper. PaperSwap will periodically download a new wallpaper from a URL of your choice. Use it with the few predefined galleries from supware.net, or use it with your own URL.
PaperSwap is both a client and server solution:
Clients are available for Android (on the marketplace), and for Linux+Gnome as a shell script (here). Use it for whatever you want! Combine it with your webcam. Use it with a weather map. Or just take advantage of my default galleries.
The PaperSwap clients allow you to specify any URL. But to get you started, I’ve created a couple PHP-based scripts:
- Random Photo Redirector – This script will randomly supply an image from your web server. Plop it in a folder filled with images and you’re good to go. Look at my paperswap gallery for an example of this script in action.
- Flickr Interestingness Redirector – This script will scrape photos daily from Flickr’s Interestingness feed (Flickr API key required)
I have several galleries available on this site:
- PaperSwap gallery (640×480, 960×800, 960×854, 1280×1024, 1920×1080, 3200×1200)
- Flickr Interestingness (640×480, 960×800, 960×854)
- Eclair Wallpapers from the Android Open Source Project (640×480, 960×800)
- HTC Hero default wallpapers (640×480)
- Nexus One wallpapers, also resized and recropped (640×480, 960×800, 960×854)
Other Fun PaperSwap URL Ideas
- San Diego Traffic Map: 640×480
- San Diego Weather Map from Weather Underground: 640×480
- Shamu Cam: (320×240, 640×480)
- South Padre Island TX Beach Cam: (640×480, 960×800, 960×854)
|current version: 1.1 – 2010.03.31
PaperSwap – download from the Android Marketplace.
1.1 – 2010.03.31
- Optional home screen shortcut to “swap now”
1.0 – 2010.03.20
- Initial public release