I recorded another video from my heli today, and here it is! I threw a couple new twists to the video editing process to keep it real.
I got a new toy yesterday: a miniature wireless video camera! So, I hooked it up with my 2nd newest toy, my RC helicopter, and now we have endless possibilities… the first video I made is a tour of my garage. Well, it's actually more like a tour of the driveway and the house across the street, but you must admit, the possibilities really are endless.
We went up to Valencia for the weekend, for Easter dinner at Grandpa's house. I took the helicopter and duly impressed Dad and Josh. Mom was about as impressed as Erin was. Erin also had some Behind the Bride meetings with her new clients (Dawn and Josh). They have their own website, dawnandjosh.info. We stopped by Jyenny's on the way home. It was fun times.
Knowing how much fun I'm having with my helicopter, Chris ordered the exact same one. It should come tomorrow! I'm trying to convince jason to get one too… then it'll be like a whole club.
I'm getting better flying my new helicopter. Learning how to fly is definitely not an easy thing. The problem is that making a mistake leads to disaster. The rotor spins so fast that even though it's only 20" long and made of plastic, it can do a lot of damage. I have a bruise on my calf to prove it. Hit a hard edge of something, and you just bought yourself a new rotor blade . The first few times I flew, I couldn't even hold steady on the ground, but I've definitely gotten a lot better. Today I was able to hover for a few minutes without crashing. I can even sort of control moving around forward, backward, and to the sides. Unfortunately, the crash today was a bad one, as somehow the rotor speed got stuck in the on position, but the rotor itself got tweaked so it couldn't move. That led to the main motor getting really hot, and one of the components on the circuit board getting so hot that it desoldered a couple components and released its smoke.
If you don't know how those little black square electronic components work, here's how: every one of them is jam packed with smoke. (I don't know how they get the smoke in there, don't ask.) The component works fine unless you let the smoke out. Once you let the smoke out, the component won't work anymore.
So that's what happened. I released the smoke from the receiver board, which is the most expensive part of the heli. The guy at the hobby shop told me it would probably be more worth it to get a brand new helicopter, because while it costs a little more to get the whole thing, it's not that much more, and then you have all those spare parts.
So my learning experience is: r/c helicopters are an expensive hobby. I've only had the thing for less than a week, and already I've incurred $70 of damage. Hopefully as I get better, that cost per week will go down significantly, or I may have to get a 2nd job.
So, since I am probably in the top 2% of people in the "hard to buy birthday presents for" category, I received a lotta cash this year for my birthday. I decided to spend it on a Remote Control Helicopter! I also got a really nice case & better battery w/ 2x as much flying capacity. And here's what I expect to be doing in a couple weeks . Well… those kind of tricks might take a little longer… But here's what I expect to be doing in a couple months. Of course, you know me, I have to put a computer in everything!